Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ratsnake!

This very snake was draped over our back door when we got home from the Ordination last night. I opened the door to go in and something thwacked me on the head as I went through the door. I jumped and looked up and there was a prize ratsnake specimen enroute to the phoebe nest over the back door light fixture. His last foot and a half was hanging down and that is what I had hit with my head! With the help of my walking stick I helped the snake back down to the deck and then looked it over trying to decide what kind it was. Underside is a creamy white. Pretty long. I am fairly certain it is a ratsnake. They are a threatened species in Vermont and I have reported my sighting. These pictures I took tonight when the snake returned for another try at the nest.









2 comments:

Molly said...

EEEWWWW!!! GROSSS!!!!!!!

sarah said...

That is a beautiful sanke, but I would have screamed to high heaven to have it thwack me in the face....eew.